September 23, 2009
Joint Ventures in North Korea
While the world is primarily preoccupied with the nuclear issue with North Korea and thinks that North Korea is sealed off from the outside world, there are those who argue that North Korea presents good investment and joint venture opportunities. A British businessman residing in Pyongyang and operating joint ventures has this to say:
The DPRK (North Korea) represents one of the last “green field” economies in the world with exceptional investment opportunities. As such it provides an unparalleled opportunity for business professionals who know and understand the risks, the people and the country. As estate agents are fond of saying it is a case of “location, location, location.”
[See more [also copied below] The photo shows a groundbreaking ceremony of a joint venture in North Korea.]
The DPRK (North Korea) Location, Location, Location
September 21, 2009
* Analysis by: GLG Expert Contributor
* Analysis of: Goldman Sachs Has a Different View of Korean Unification
* Published at: online.wsj.com
- As time goes by we are likely to see “the development of an uneasy coexistence with the US”.
- There are some signs of improvement in the North Korea's economy, thanks to recent reforms. The growth will remain very slow, but the regime has built in “coping mechanisms” that will prevent collapse.
- “A slow income growth could be supportive of political stability, because it would make it easier for the regime to control popular expectations.”
- What the Chinese would call peaceful evolution is possible: