* See all the blogs about the issues of Jeju Naval Base (total 109)
* 제주 해군 기지 이슈에 대한 모든 블로그는 여기를 가시길(109개)
* image source: 'Hyun Myung-Gwan'
Surrounding his corporate career and wrong remarks, Hyun Myung-Gwan, the current preliminary candidate of the conservative Grand National Party, for the Island governor position, has been in focus. It happened on May 3 because of his Samsung career and on May 4, because of his remarks with which he infuriated the villagers and civil organizations.
1. Woo Geun-Min, an independent candidate for the Island governor has pointed out the two problems in Hyun’s position.
Above all, related to the postponement of the ceremony for the setting up of the naval base construction, Woo questioning that, “In the press interview, on the matter of the selection of the new area, the candidate Hyun has announced his position that the cruise should be the main while the military vessels should be the side. However, he has not expressed any of his views when the navy attempted to enforce the ceremony. Isn’t the silence the favor [of the naval base]?’ asked Hyun of what was his view on the postponement of the ceremony. (Sisa Jeju)
* Image source: Jeju Sori 'Woo Geun-Min'
According to Sisa Jeju, Woo claimed, “The Samsung C&T corporation has contracted on the construction related to the naval base in Gangjeong village in July 2009. The preliminary candidate Hyun was the executive advisor of the Samsung C&T since [May] 2008 . During the time of the naval base construction contact, Hyun, the preliminary candidate was clearly the person interest-concerned.’ Woo demanded as, “The candidate Hyun should clearly answer whether he was the very core person concerned, related to the Gangjeong village naval base issue and whether he could be the qualified as the fair intercessor.” (see the Media Jeju, as well)
Samsung is infamous for wielding power through all the political matters, with its enormous economic power; for unprecedented oppression of workers; and lastly for its status as one of the Korea Aero space industries with Hyundae and Daewoo. Samsung is also arms product and arms export company. (See all the blogs labeled as, “Samsung’)
Otherwise, Woo is an independent candidate, a former Island governor, and once chosen as the candidate of the Democratic Party but cancelled because of his sexual harassment career during his term. His current public pole is the second, after Hyun Myung-Gwan.
Koh Hee-Beom, the preliminary candidate of the Democratic Party and the former President of the Hankyoreh Press Inc, having the criticism on Hyun’s remarks on May 4 that, “It is natural that the company participates for the company interest,” denounced that, “There is not a bit his heart loving Jeju.” (Media Jeju)
* Image source: Google, 'Koh Hee Beom'
2. As Hyun Myung-Kwan, Grand Nation Party, preliminary candidate for the governor of the Jeju Island has told, visiting the press room in the Jeju city Hall at 10:30am, in the morning of April 4, that, “The Gangjeong village naval base was decided by the villagers’ vote,” the Pan-Island committee against the Jeju Naval Base and Realization for peace, having a statement, announced that, “The remarks of the preliminary candidate Hyun reveals he has not grasped even the minimum factual relationship related to the naval base business that is the biggest current issue in the Jeju Island.”
The Pan-Island Committee said that, “It is the minimum ‘fact’ that a preliminary candidate for Island governor should naturally know that it was the ‘villagers’ votes’ that the Gangjeong villagers have requested for last three years.” (Media Jeju) (Sisa Jeju)
The Gangjeong villagers themselves have had their own votes more than twice in 2007 and 2008. In August 10, 2007, 740 villagers joined the vote and more than 680 opposed the naval base plan. Therefore, more than 94% were, in opposition against the naval base. In the second vote, near 900 villagers gathered and the opposition rate was similar, as well. For reference, Gangjeong is with 2000 villagers with 600 households. Therefore tit means that almost every adult in the each household opposes the naval base plan. And even though the villagers have become very tired after three years’ systematic government oppression, the numbers of the villagers opposing against the base plan have been increased. Still, the Island government and the central government have never acknowledged the villagers vote and if the villagers demand the official vote from the conviction of their victory, the government officials would withdraw their claim itself.