A Korean NoCutNews article on Aug. 24, 2010 (reporter Park Jong Ryul) has reported on the prospect of the FTA talks between the two ROK & US summits, citing a Washington post article on Aug. 23, 2010.
* Below is an arbitrary translation of a part from the Link. Nov. 11 would would be a hot day for Koreans as the G20 Summits gather. There is a big rally against G20 in the Seoul station. And there is also another small but important protest in the morning on the same day. I only roughly translated its purpose.
아래 평통사 글은 링크의 취지 부분 번역한 것. 국문 전문은 여기 클릭
Solidarity for Peace And Reunification of Korea
Nov. 10, 2010
The problems of the ROK-US summit meeting
1) The ROK-US summit meeting will be held in the Presidential House on Nov. 11 (Thurs.). In the meeting, issues on the ROK-US FTA, North Korea nuclear weapon, and ROK-US alliance will be discussed.
2) It is known that the Lee Myung-bak government was determined to almost accept the demands of the United States in the sphere of automobile issues. It is unpatriotic for the Lee government to mobilize the form of ‘additional agreement’ beside its content, in the sense that [the government] would endlessly allow the demands of the United States by doing that. There is no alternative beside abolishing of the ROK-US FTA that infringes [ROK’s] economic sovereignty and destroys common people’s livelihood through secret negotiation with rough and ready method.
3) It is told that the ROK and US authorities are coordinating their positions toward the direction of IAEA inspectorate’ returning back to North Korea; declaration on the freeze of the nuclear related activities; and re-confirmations on the fulfillment of 9.19 joint statement. Unilateral demand is deviating from the 9.19 joint statement that is agreed upon the “spirit of the mutual respect & equality” and “mutually coordinated measure.” We urge the ROK and US authorities to launch the talks on non-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula and peace agreement, by resuming the NK-US talks and six party talks by taking steps, based on the principals of ‘pledge vs. pledge,’ and ‘action vs. action.’
4) The ROK-US summits will reconfirm to develop the ROK-US alliance toward the strategic alliance as they have agreed with each other in the ‘ROK-US alliance joint vision.’ What the comprehensive strategic alliance means is that [the two authorities] would keep the United States’ dominant policy in the world by converting the ROK-US alliance into an invasive one, and that South Korea would be the filial sub-partner of it. We oppose the strengthening of invasive ROK-US alliance that is the violation of [the ROK] constitution and ROK-US mutual defense treaty; that threatens the peace in the Korean peninsula & World; and that strengthens the invasive ROK-US alliance, increasing people’s burden and sacrifice.
* The timing of the below article is noticeable. You may refer to the below.
Security Council to release long-delayed North Korea nuclear report
By Colum Lynch
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 9, 2010; 10:52 PM